India is unlikely to ask Nasheed to leave because it feels it was up to the Maldivian leader to take a call, sources said in New Delhi.
A Maldivian court on Monday gave time till Wednesday 4pm to the police for bringing Nasheed before it, prompting them to approach the Foreign Ministry asking it to get in touch with the Indian high commission, where Nasheed has taken refuge since February 13.
“We have received court orders asking us to produce former President Nasheed before it by 4pm on Wednesday,” Police spokesman Hassan Haneef told adding the department, through the attorney general, has approached the foreign ministry asking it to get in touch with the Indian mission.
“We have asked the foreign ministry to ask the Indian Mission to arrange and facilitate Nasheed’s arrest so that he could be produced before the court,” Haneef said.
Meanwhile, the situation showed no signs of resolution despite efforts at the official level to do so.
Both India and Maldives also engaged in a war of words with the former denying that its mission was being used for holding political meetings to incite violence here.
A day after Indian high commissioner DM Mulay was summoned and issued a strong protest note on Nasheed’s stay in the mission, India said, “It is reiterated that no political meetings and activities have been allowed in the mission premises during the presence of former President”.
“Only limited visitors are allowed to meet the former president on strict need basis,” the Indian high commission here added.
According to Maldivian President Mohamed Waheed’s office, the note was issued to the high commissioner to protest “harbouring a fugitive in the embassy premise from where Nasheed is inciting and calling for unrest and violence in the streets”.
45-year-old Nasheed, took refuge in the Mission on February 13 to evade arrest warrant issued by a court in a case concerning the detention of chief judge of the criminal court during his presidency in January last year.